Let’s start with answering the most basic question – What is dust?
Dust is the common name used when referring to a microscopic air pollutant that can originate from a number of different causes. Dust particles can have a natural origin — from the soil, rocks, pollen, dander, or can be a cause of man-made activity — from construction sites, numerous industrial areas or even day-to-day tasks such as gardening and roof cleaning.
London, being one of the most populated cities in Europe, has a good amount of dust in the air, that can transfer to every corner of every house, apartment or building. The bigger the city you live in is, the higher the levels of dust in the air are, which bring us to the second question. Is dust dangerous for our health and why?
Dust and Bacteria are Hiding Under the Couch
On average in the house dust live round 5,000 types of bacteria and 2,000 types of fungi. Most of them are not dangerous and are a part of the house’s internal ecosystem. Much like the skin of our bodies, our home contains different microorganisms which manage to live without harming its host.
However, there are always exceptions to the general rule. Some types of microorganisms can react to other dust particles and emit dangerous substances that can cause skin and eye irritation, headaches, behaviour changes and even mental problems.
The regular cleaning of the house prevents these kinds of negative reactions and assures the well-being of its occupants.
Cleaning the Toxic Dust From Your London Home
Yes, dust can be quite toxic. Pollutants can be carried very easily not only by air but also as a part of your furniture, carpets, curtains, even on the bottom of your shoes. You can bring to your home all kinds of dangerous particles that can easily cause various allergic reactions and skin problems.
Just imagine how much dangerous dust fragments your fluffy cat is carrying from your backyard. That is why you should not only vacuum but wet mop the floors and stairs of your home.
A good thing to use, are all cleaners containing chlorine, make sure to read the instructions on the bottle first.
Health Problems Caused By to Much Dust in the Home
There are a lot of health problems that can be caused by the dust in your home and unfortunately, not all are well-known. Sometimes we tend to overlook the simplest explanations and forget how easy is to “invite” the danger in our homes.
Most Popular Health Problems caused by dust in the UK
- Allergies. A common body reaction to the house dust is the developing of different allergies. The symptoms vary from a runny nose to big red spots covering your body. If your immune system is weakened, you may even fall into anaphylactic shock. Be extremely careful if you are allergic to dust and consider calling a cleaning team instead of attempting to dust and vacuum by yourself.
- Asthma and breathing problems. The small dust particles can easily enter our lungs and stick there. That will cause heavy breathing and eventually you will feel out of breath. For people who are prone to breathing problems, this can even be a life-threatening situation.
- Skin problems. Some people can easily develop different skin problems due to the thousands of bacteria and fungi in the dust. You should always wear a mask and gloves when attempting to clean your home.
- Headaches. Incredible but a fact dust can be a cause for migraines and headaches. The combination of some pollutants in the dust’s contents can have a negative effect on the human body. Clean regularly to avoid the accumulation of dust particles in your home.
Clean the Dust and Protect Your Home From Fire
Most dust particles are highly flammable. You may think to yourself “What fire? I live in London. It rains constantly here!”. Well, tell that to the 16th-century Londoners who experienced the Great Fire. If your house is burning from the inside, it is not much of a comfort that it is raining outside. If by chance a light bulb explodes in a dusty room there is a realistic chance, that a fire will start.
Dust and dust bunnies are quite easy to set on fire, and if there are in a big quantity the situation is hazardous. Always make sure to check the electric wiring in your home. If you are relocating to a new place, first clean it, and then switch the lights on.