Usually, you perform big cleaning actions twice a year – first in spring, to prepare your home for the warm months, and second in autumn to get ready for the cold. There are a lot of things that need to be done around the house and the cloudy, rainy London weather will demotivate you even more. However, don’t give up, we have gathered for you the most important cleaning duties in this brief list. Make sure to carefully go through every point, and your house will be sparkling clean in no time.
Time to Say Goodbye
Before grabbing the vacuum cleaner, you need to first go through all of your cupboards and wardrobes.
- Start from the kitchen and inspect the pantry.
- Remove all cans and boxes with expired foods.
- Consider donating some of the good products to your local shelter.
- Inspect the attic and the basement. Toss everything you don’t want or don’t use.
- Move towards your wardrobes, everything you haven’t worn in the last three years must go.
The cleaning and decluttering of the home are important not only because you are freeing space for the new stuff. But also because this is a way to help the people in need during the hard winter months.
Cleaning Your Smoke Detectors and Air Vents
Most London houses have both smoke detectors and air vents. They need to be regularly cleaned, especially before the cold months when the danger of electrical, heat malfunctions is greater.
- Smoke detectors – using your vacuum cleaners soft brush attachment you need to clean in and around the detector’s opening. Don’t forget to change the batteries. If your detectors are older than ten years, you need to change them immediately.
- Air vents – Clean the air duct covers or grilles with a mixture of water and multipurpose cleaner. Use a microfibre cloth to avoid scratching the plastic surface. After that vacuum the duct as much as you can.
Clean Your Mattress
Autumn is the season when you have to rotate or flip over your mattress. This is done, so you can sleep on different parts of your mattress through the entire year while evening the pressure your body is putting on it. That way your mattress will have a longer lifespan and you will avoid having bumps and knots on its surface. The rotation suggests you change the head part with the feet part. Flipping your mattress means to turn it over so you will be sleeping on its other side. Specialists advise to both flip and rotate your mattress. When doing so you must:
- Vacuum the mattress on both sides
- Sprinkle baking soda on the side you are going to sleep and leave it like dis for half an hour
- Vacuum the soda.
Cleaning Checklist for Your London Home
During the cold months, people lack energy and feel easily tired. It is normal to wont to skip on some of the cleaning chores when the snow is knee high and the London wind is trying to blow you off the streets. That is precisely why you need to buckle up and perfectly clean your home in the autumn months. Here are the most important and hard cleaning tasks:
- Clean under the furniture. In winter the last thing you want to do is move furniture around the house while vacuuming everything. That is why you need to do it now. Clean those dust balls from under the couch and sofa.
- Clean and wash the curtains. This is your last chance before the temperatures drop significantly so make sure you dust and launder all the drapes in the home.
- Cleaning the carpets. The autumn sun is the best way to dry out your carpets after you washed them.
- Dust the highest places. Dusting is the cleaning chore that is constantly overlooked and skipped. However, dust is the number one reason for allergies. Get your long duster and clean properly the house don’t forget the spaces over the wardrobes and on the highest shelves.
- Remove the cobwebs from all corners of the home;
- Clean the windows. The sun is not so bright anymore so you should be able to see all spots and smudges. Remember to clean the frames and the blinds.