Having a neat home is easy if you have the right cleaning supplies. We are not only talking about buckets and mops, but you also need to have a lot more. We’ve asked our London cleaners what are the most common house tools, which of them can be used in the office and what are the most frequent mistakes they’ve encountered. Here is their detailed response.
Common Cleaning Tools
It may sound trivial but we will start by listing the most important cleaning tools used even by our London professionals.
- Vacuum cleaner
- Scrub brush
- Wash brush
- Microfibre cloths
- Old toothbrushes
- A pair of rubber gloves
- A squeegee
- A mop and a bucket.
- A dustpan and an indoor broom
- Some soft sponges
- A couple of spray bottles
Regardless of the cleaning methods, you use, at some point, you will need all of these tools. Our professional advice is to keep everything organised and in one place. This way you will be able to clean faster and not waste time searching for different things around the property. We will take a deeper look into two of the most widespread cleaning utensils.
How to Pick the Right Cleaning Brush?
You will notice we have mentioned a couple of different types of cleaning brushes so far. According to the type of bristles they have, you can use these tools for completing various cleaning chores.
- Soft bristle brushes – Usually professionals use them for washing delicate materials like textile upholstery or marble worktops. You won’t get much of a scrub out of them, but you will avoid damaging or scratching the surfaces in your property.
- Medium bristle brushes – Most toothbrushes fell in this category. These types of brushes are great if you want to clean your tiles or sink. They are hard enough to remove the limescale and soap residue but are still gentle enough to not damage the area you are using them on.
- Hard bristle brushes – You need to be very careful with those types of brushes. They are usually used to clean the outside of your property. Great for scrubbing your porch and patio. Avoid using them in your home.
What You Need to Know About Your Vacuum Cleaner
This is one of the most important cleaning tools in your home and you need to pick it very carefully. Before making the big purchase you have to decide on the following:
- Bag or container – Nowadays there are a lot of models who don’t have a vacuum bag but a container. Some are even equipped with water filters. To be fair the latter is one of the best machines on the market, but if you are on a budget, they might not be the right choice for you.
- Vacuum cleaner’s attachments – Usually overlooked your hover’s accessories are actually quite important. Make sure to buy a machine with all 4 basic attachments – upholstery brush, dusting brush, crevice tool and extension wand.
- HEPA filters – Make sure your new vacuum machine is equipped with it. In general HEPA filters collect small particles and clean the air while you hover your property.
Mistakes When Shopping for Cleaning Supplies in London
When you go on a shopping spree, you need to pay attention to a couple of things:
- Don’t overstock. Avoid cluttering your home with cleaning products and tools. Unless they are on sale and it is a really good bargain, purchase only the things you really need.
- Don’t trust your TV. Always read the labels of both your detergents and the items you are going to use them on. Do not believe everything you see or hear, or you might seriously damage your belongings. You have no idea how many professional cleaners in London are booked after such bad choices.
- Sometimes it is better to rent than buy. The shiny steam cleaning machine might look tempting but let be real for a second. You will use it at most 2 times a year. It’s better to book these kinds of cleaning services than to wonder where to place all of the unnecessary tools and supplies.
- Not all utensils are good for your property. Keep in mind that some tools are specifically designed to clean particular surfaces. Spend some time researching what are your best options and avoid uninformed buying.
Shop smart and don’t be afraid to ask for advise your local London professional cleaning company.