All you want to do during the warmer months is chill outside and enjoy the fresh air. However, you need to think in perspective and plan a weekend or two of home improvements and cleaning. Use the good weather to do all those things around the house you can’t or avoid in winter. Be like a brown bear, prepare yourself and your lear in advance so you can be lazy and happy when the snow falls down.
Summer Benefits: What to Do Around the House
Summer is the perfect season not only to declutter and organise your home but also to do some important check-ups. According to our professional cleaners ‘ extensive experience, people who skip or overlook these chores are usually the ones who have the most maintenance problems in winter. Don’t be like them, plan everything and properly check your London house.
- Roof and gutters – you need to make sure all is well there are no dents or leakages.
- House plumbing – now is the time to call a professional and inspect your pipes and garden irrigation system. You don’t want to have to deal with a leaking pipe in the middle of winter.
- Wooden decks and porches – Inspect them carefully for termites and other pests. Consider repainting them.
- Windows and doors – oil your squeaking doors and check the isolation of your windows. Everything must close perfectly or else you are looking at some big winter heating bills.
- Outdoor lighting fixtures – See if all of your lights work properly and repair or change the broken ones.
- External pool area – Inspect the pool itself as well as the deck around it. Repair the pavement and change the filters.
Cleaning MUSTs During the Warmer Months
There are a number of things that need to be cleaned and properly taken care of during the warm months. Sunlight is great when it comes to naturally straighten the fibres of different household items and furniture. Not to mention that the chance of growing mould and mildew significantly declines. Why book expensive cleaning services when you can do it by yourself? The results may not be as good, but you will save some money and still have a fresh-looking London home.
- All mattresses must be taken outside and let to breathe at least half a day. Vacuum them afterwards and put them in their places.
- Wash all of your carpets and mats. If possible leave them outside to dry off.
Couch cushions, curtains, pillows, bedding, all must be deeply washed and left to dry under the
- Use the warm season to clean and arrange the garage/attic/basement.
- Clean your fireplace and call a professional to do the same with your chimney.
How to Prepare Your London Home for the Winter
Altho the cold months are still far away there are some tasks you can do during the summer to make your future life easier.
- Decluttering your home from unwanted or unused items like old electronics, toys, clothes, cosmetics. Check all of your drawers and wardrobes and toss or donate the things you no longer use.
- Time to tidy your pantry and get rid of all the foods and cans that are past their expiration date.
Inspect your medicine cabinet and replace all expired products.
- Remember to check your vehicle for any problems and emergency repairs.
The best part is you don’t have to rush doing any of these tasks, rather take your time and think about them. You can even contact your professional house cleaners and ask them for help with this process. This way you will be sure your London home will be ready for the winter.