The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and there isn’t a single cloud in the sky – Summer is finally here. Naturally, when the weather is this good, you would want to spend outside as much time as possible. This doesn’t mean to skip all of your household chores, but there tasks that are more pleasant than others. In order to ensure you have some summer fun under the sun while maintaining your London home tidy, we have a few cleaning suggestions for you.
Carpet Cleaning Can Be Fun
The summer is the perfect time to properly take care of your carpets and rugs while being outside.
- Carpet washing is best performed during the warmer months as then all materials dry off faster. Not to mention the direct sunlight can straighten the fibres of your rugs.
- Use regular liquid soap, if don’t have a specialised cleaning detergent.
- If you own a vintage or design carpets and rugs, you may want to consult with a cleaning company just in case. You don’t want to destroy your valuables after all.
- The best way to wash a small mat or rug is in your bathroom. For the larger carpets, our professional cleaners advise using your front porch. This way you will spend a day in the sun “playing with soap and water.”
- If you are using your deck, make sure to first swipe and mop it to remove all traces of dust.
- Leave your carpets hanging in the sun. If it’s not a particularly hot day, they may need to stay outside longer.
- Always use cold water when washing your carpetings.
What About the Upholstery in Your London Home
If you don’t want to rely on house cleaning services, now is the time to tidy your upholstery and mattresses on your own.
- Wash all pillows and let them dry out in the sun, as during summer the weather is hot enough to eliminate the possibility of mould development.
- Use a sponge and a mixture of cold water and liquid soap to wipe your couch cushions. You can even take them outside and wash them if the material of your upholstery allows it.
- Time to let your mattresses to breath. Just leave them for a couple of hours outside to breath and vacuum them afterwards.
The Forgotten Parts of Your London House
You may wonder what are the things you forget during the weekly cleanups. Well here is a simple list of household chores:
- Front door – Time to wipe clean your front door from both sides. Depending on the material it is made of, you can use a DIY solution or a specialised cleaner. Take good care of the parts above the handle as people usually tend to touch them the most.
- Inside doors – While you are at it, wash all of the doors in your home. Remember to open all windows and let the fresh, warm air inside to speed the drying process.
- Window frames – Pay attention, as we are talking only about the frames. The actual glass parts must be washed on cloudy days. Use the good weather to scrub all parts of your windows and remove the dust and dirt.
- The garage – time to open wide your garage door, grab the broom and start swiping. You can even attempt to declutter and organise a yard sale.
- Decks and porches – The summer is the perfect season to not only wash them but also to repaint and repair them.
- Gutters and roofs – Now that the rains are not so often, you can climb up and clean the gutters properly. Check the roof for repairs.
Summer is the perfect season to refresh your beautiful London house. If you don’t feel like it, you can always rely on your trusted cleaning company to deal with everything. However, we encourage you to make your weekly routine more healthy and include more outside activities in it.