“Go, clean your room!”. This is the most repeated phrase of every parent in the world. Unfortunately, when you get older the chore of tiding, your bedroom becomes even more time-consuming and boring. You can’t escape the vacuuming, dusting and arranging your clothes and the more you procrastinate the bigger the mess gets. You have significantly more stuff laying around, plus you have to do a lot more now. As an adult, you need to properly clean the mattresses, the higher shelves and the top of the wardrobes. Living in a busy city like London means that you don’t have enough time every week to do a deep and thorough clean. In most cases, you just have to improvise or skip some of the tasks. However, as the bedroom is the place where people rest and sleep it needs to be germ and dust-free. We seem to be at a cross-road here, how to clean properly when there is no time? We are here to teach you the secrets of speed-cleaning. Put on your learning hats and continue reading to find out how to tidy your bedroom in less than 30 minutes.
It Only Looks Scary
Everything can be clean fast if you have the right preparation and tools. Even if you live alone and don’t have family members who can help you, you can manage the chores by simply prioritizing them. Let’s start first with your cleaning kit and the things you will need:
- A vacuum cleaner with all of its attachments. You will learn how easy it is to clean the higher places if you use the long vacuum head.
- One or two microfibre cloths. They are great for polishing and collecting dust. You can use them to blot stains and wipe the windows.
- A squeegee. There are so many ways to use a squeegee other than the conventional one. We will show you how.
- A multi-purpose cleaner. While it is preferable to have a detergent for every type of surface, let’s be real nobody has time for it. Just use one cleaner for everything.
- Baking soda. You will never look at this cooking ingredient the same after you discover its cleaning powers.
- Rubber gloves. Learning time: human skin is the most absorbent part of your body. This means you need to put extra effort into protecting it from the cleaning chemicals.
- A mop and a bucket. Wipe clean these floors. As much as we like to tell you that vacuuming will do the job, you do need to use a cleaning detergent to disinfect your floors.
That is all you will need for the speed-cleaning of your room. Now let’s move to the organisational part.
- You don’t have to do all at once. Some chores like window cleaning can be done once a month.
- Choose a day of the week according to your schedule when you are going to clean your room and stick to it.
- The day before check if you have all of the cleaning tools and detergents needed. Don’t forget to change your vacuum’s bag.
- If needed go to the store, don’t leave it for the last minute, you want to be fully prepared on cleaning day.
First Clean the Biggest Mess
Look at your beautiful London apartment, it may seem clean and tidy on the outside but when you go to your room, it’s like a different dimension. Piles of clothes cover the trusted bedroom chair, makeup everywhere, all the drawers are a mess and everything looks like the cleaning version of the film Mission impossible. Fear not, follow these steps:
- All dirty clothes go to the laundry basket;
- All mugs, plates or glasses with water go in the kitchen sink;
- Put your make up in ziplock bags and stash it in your makeup bag, this way you won’t get powder everywhere and it will look tidy;
- The clean clothes go in the drawers, on the shelves and in the wardrobe. Don’t waste your time arranging them. You have bigger things to tend to;
- Place all of the pillows in a big bin bag. You will see later, we promise;
- Remove the bedding and place it in the laundry machine;
Let the Speed-Cleaning Start Now
If all the previous steps are accomplished in the correct order, the actual cleaning will take a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle baking soda on your mattress and leave it like this;
- Dampen a microfibre cloth with the multi-purpose cleaner and wipe all surfaces you think have dust;
- Use the squeegee to remove pet hairs or fibres from the upholstery of your furniture (we are looking at you “pile chair”);
- Vacuum the floors;
- Put the long attachment and vacuum under the bed and the other furniture;
- Put the dust attachment and vacuum the top of the wardrobe;
- Put the upholstery attachment and vacuum the baking soda out of the bed;
- Remember the bin bag with all of your decorative pillows? Put the end of the vacuum tube in the bag and hit on. Vacuum the bag with everything in it. Repeat it a couple of time, while juggling the pillows after every “sucking” session;
- Put water in the bucket and some multi-purpose cleaner and mop the floors;
- Make a cup of tea and wait while the floors dry out;
- Place new sheets on the bed and arrange the pillows;
Congratulations, you have cleaned your room!