The Holiday season is upon us, and it is time to prepare for the long process of gift buying, wrapping and of course cooking. During these times there is so much that needs to be done, that in the end, all we really want for Christmas is to lay down and take a nap. Unfortunately, there is a tiny problem, and it is called – housecleaning. Even if you are amongst the lucky ones and didn’t have big guest parties, you still have to maintain the home in a relatively satisfactory condition. When tired and full of food and eggnog, the last thing on your mind is grabbing the vacuum and hoovering all day. Good news, you don’t have to. We have gathered some amazing speed-cleaning tricks that will surely gain you a couple of hours of well-deserved rest.
Housecleaning Preparation is Essential
“The 12 days of Christmas” is a great children’s song, but it is also a very useful way to remember what needs to be done. There are 12 things you want to prepare before “C”-day comes in order to be ready for the big cleanout afterwards.
- Get trash bags from the store.
- Buy some multipurpose floor and wood cleaning detergent.
- Remember to stack up on vacuum bags.
- Check if you have dishwashing detergent and liquid soap.
- Buy at least 2 packs of baking soda. With so much food there is bound to be stain accident.
- Rubbing alcohol will save your upholstery from all sorts of things – from food to grease spots.
- Do not underestimate the value of wet wipes especially if toddlers are involved. Be certain to have one pack for each day.
- Rubber gloves and protective masks will save you a lot of trouble. You don’t want to end up with an allergic reaction and look like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer on your Christmas photos. Cleaning solvents always find the “right” time to cause a nasty rash.
- Make sure you have a dustpan, broom, mop and bucket. Keep them close by as glasses and plates tend to get easily broken at parties.
- By at least one or two scented candles to refresh the air and lighten up the mood.
- Inspect your decoration. Some things need to be cleaned before being hanged, and others need to hit the bin. If you spot stains that look suspiciously like mould, throw the item away. Better safe than sorry.
- Check if you know where all of your vacuum’s attachments are. They have a key role in the speed cleaning process.
Speed Clean Your London Home for the Holidays
To be fair, you can use the following tips even when the holiday season is over. Living in London means you don’t have enough time anyway so you can implement a point or two in your weekly cleaning routine. However, keep in mind that every home needs a thorough deep-cleansing at least once a month to maintain a healthy living environment.
That said let’s dive into the lazy pool quick-cleaning:
- Pour some strong detergent like Domestos in the toilet. Wait for 10 minutes and flush the water while making circular motions with the toilet brush. There, you are ready.
- Wipe the mirrors and the doors of your shower cabin with a microfibre cloth. If you want to be more diligent, spray some window cleaner on it.
- Vacuum all the visible parts of the carpets and floors. This is not a Spring cleaning, stop moving furniture around.
- Use the dust attachment to your hoover and suck those nasty dust bunnies in. Don’t go overboard tho, if there are under the bed leave them there. Your future self will handle them.
- Pour some multipurpose detergent in a spray bottle and add water. Use this mixture to clean all shelves, tables, chairs basically everything that is in your immediate field of vision.
- Put all the dishes in the dishwasher, now add all plastic toys, ceramic figurines, bowl and everything that otherwise you would have to carefully wash or wipe by hand.
- Wet the rubber gloves and wipe all of the soft furniture, this way you will get rid of most if not all of the fibres and pet hairs.
- Open the windows to get some of the cold London air in. Close them and spray around with an air freshener.
- Change all bedsheets and blankets. Leave the mattress cleaning for later.
- You have stains on your couch cushions – flip them. There are stains on both sides – buy decorative pillows. Fast, easy and comfortable for taking a nap after all this hard work.