Every responsible homeowner knows they need to take good care for their house and tidy it regularly. However, most people have no clue that according to the season, different cleaning chores must be performed. We are not saying you only vacuum the floor in the spring or dust in the autumn. Depending on the weather conditions outside, your house needs special care to avoid the expensive repairs and renovations. We have talked with professionals in the cleaning business and have created the perfect seasonal guide.
Typically all across the globe Spring is the season for the big one-off cleaning. During this time you cleanse the entire home and forget about it until the next year. There are a couple of musts that need to be done to correctly complete the spring cleaning chores:
- Clean the Gutters – It is essential to clean your gutters and roof before the autumn rains start. Grab a ladder and climb up to check if everything is alright. Fallen leaves and other debris can clutter the gutters and obstruct the path of the rainwater. This can cause serious roof damage and even a leak.
- Wash the Windows – It is perfect time to wash your windows both from the outside and in. The weather is not too hot, there are clouds and not a lot of direct sunlight. Thus you will be able to see the smudges on the glass easily. Make sure to wash the frames, the insolation and blinds. Remove all black spots and debris.
- Deep-clean Your Mattress – Use the sun rays the best way possible – for sanitising your mattresses. Consider booking professional cleaners to come and disinfect your bed. Wash all of your pillows, linens and blankets. After the cleaning services are over, take your mattress outside and leave it to completely dry off under the sunlight. Remember to flip and rotate it before you put the fresh sheets.
- Clean Your Air Vents – During the cold months, we usually don’t open the windows as much, and the AC is constantly blasting hot air. So now is the time to take care of them. Vacuum the vents, remove all of the dust and debris. Remember to wash the filters of your AC.
- Declutter Your Wardrobe – Exploit this opportunity to throw away or donate the pieces you haven’t used for years. Use vacuum bags to both keep your garments secured and not take a lot of space in your wardrobe.
Summer House Cleaning Chores
During the summer nobody thinks too much about cleaning. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and you are trying your best to avoid staying indoors. That is why in this section, we have included things you must never do during the summer. Take it easy and enjoy the weather.
- Do not wash your windows. In summer, the sun is high, and the direct sunlight will reflect on the glass surface and smear your vision. You will end up missing a big portion of the stains and smudges.
- Do not defrost and clean your freezer and fridge if you live in a hot place. It is not a good idea to have large amounts of food on the kitchen table when outside is close to 55 °C, even with the AC on.
- Do not clean the roof in the summer. You already did it once in spring, it is too hot for that.
- Front door – Time to wipe clean your front door from both sides. Depending on the material it is made of, you can use a DIY solution or a specialised cleaner. Take good care of the parts above the handle as people usually tend to touch them the most.
- Inside doors – While you are at it, wash all doors in your home. Remember to open all windows and let the fresh, warm air inside to speed the drying process.
- Window frames – Pay attention, as we are talking only about the frames. The actual glass parts must be washed on cloudy days. Use the good weather to scrub all parts of your windows and remove the dust and dirt.
- The garage – Time to open your garage door, grab the broom and start swiping. You can even attempt to declutter and organise a yard sale.
- Decks and porches – The summer is the perfect season to not only wash them but also to repaint and repair them.
- Outdoor lighting fixtures – See if all of your lights work properly and repair or change the broken ones.
- External pool area – Inspect the pool itself as well as the deck around it. Repair the pavement and change the filters.
Time for the Big Autumn House Cleaning
The Autumn deep cleaning is as important as the Spring one. Maybe it is even more significant because during this time you are preparing yourself and your house for the winter.
There are a couple of factors you need to keep in mind during the cold months:
- Closed windows, central heating and dirty air vent filters interrupt and reduce the ventilation in the home. The air becomes more still and heavy. This is heaven for various fungi and bacteria.
- The difference in the outside and the inside temperature creates condensation on the windows. This might damage your walls and window frames, and lead to the development of mould and mildew.
- The more rain falls outside, the muddier the inside of your house will be.
- You can’t wash your curtains or carpets at home during the cold months, which means they will be the perfect place where dust will collect.
Here is what you need to clean and prep your home for the long cold period.
- Windows. Make sure to wash your window frames from all the black spots/mould. You can clean the glass surface with an anti-freezing liquid made for car windows. This way, your windows won’t get frosty, and it will reduce the condensation.
- Dehumidifier. Buy either a room dehumidifier or a disposable one. It will reduce the humidity levels in the house.
- Steam clean your curtains. Thankfully this remarkable cleaning service can be performed on the spot, so you don’t need to put your drapes down. It will disinfect the fabric and remove all the dust and particles embedded in it. Steam cleaning is an important step of your autumn deep-cleansing.
- In the cold months, people are more lethargic and skip on a lot of household chores. That is why in autumn you must take care of your furniture. Clean the upholstery, the cushions and especially underneath all heavy items.
- Clean the filters of all air-conditioners and air vents. Vacuum the filters and then clean them with a moist cloth.
- Organise a big dusting party amongst the members of your family and dust every inch of the house. Use damp cloths and the proper vacuum attachments. Avoid feather dusters as they only spread the particles and don’t actually collect them.
- Clean your drains. On that note, inspect all of your pipes and plumbing installation. Believe us, the worst thing that can happen is to have a leak in the middle of winter. Purchase some drain cleaner and go through all of the drains in the home, including the shower and bathtub. If you have the slightest concerns – contact a plumber.
- Defrost your fridge and clean it. You can use a DIY cleanser made from water, lemon juice and baking soda to wash it inside and out. After that, wipe all of your kitchen worktops from all food stains.
- Check your windows and doors. And we don’t mean if they are locked, but if their insolation is doing its job. It is very important not to lose heath (and money) in winter, so make sure everything is working properly. Repair cracks in the frames and glass, and prepare your home for the colder months properly.
- Consider steam cleaning your floors and the tiles in your toilet. It will be much faster and easier than using a mop and a bucket. However, if you still decide to use them, remember to use a cloth to dry your floors afterwards, as damp surfaces tend to dry slower in the cold.
- Regulate your home heaters and try not to go overboard with the warm temperatures inside. Try keeping the room temperature around 24°C and the humidity levels 35-40%.
- Remove all the cobwebs from all corners of the rooms. After the summer, you surely have a lot of new “roommates.”
Clean Your Home For the Winter Holidays
In the first days of December, it is time to start preparing for the upcoming hustle and bustle of the Holidays. You can’t skip tidying and coоking, but at least you can organise your time in a way allowing you to have some free minutes to yourself.
- Wipe the kitchen table and clean the living room. Make sure to put the most effort into dealing with the rooms that will receive the most guests.
- Mop, dust and vacuum all corridors and stairs. They are the first thing the visitors see when they enter your home.
- Clean the toilets. Pour some toilet cleaner and let it sit for 20 minutes, then just flush the water.
Winter is the best season to hire some professional help around the home. After all, you need your rest.